𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓰𝔂𝓪𝓻𝓾 𝓬𝓸𝓶𝓶𝓾𝓷𝓲𝓽𝔂
Hi there!! This is my first post, and I was really excited for it!! I know the decorations aren't the best, but I couldn't wait to post something, so here I am!!
Okay, for today's topic, since my whole blog is dedicated to the gal (or gyaru) style, I'm going to start by explaining what it is, its history and, at the end, different substyles in the gal umbrella!! I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it!!
I know that the gyaru style is a really famous fashion right now because of the boom it had on social media, which makes me really happy from one side because that means we're getting acknowledged. But all this fame brings with it a lot, I mean, A LOT, of misinformation, myth-making and hate too, let's not forget about that. So, I took my time to research what being a gyaru really means.
The gyaru style is a Japanese subculture that started in the 70's as a response to the oppression experienced by women daily in the country as a result of beauty standards, sexism and the idea of women as servants or sexual objects. This style proposed a new vision of women, making a 360-degree turn and seeking to represent women as independent, free and rebellious figures. Later, in the 90's, the style started getting influenced by different American fashions and their carefree and eye-catching looks, meaning that it started approaching more the current gyaru style that we know today.
In the 00's, thanks to the expansion of the internet, forums, blogs and social media, the gyaru community crossed the seas and reached the West, introducing lots of different people who were amazed by the fashion style and the way of thinking. Thanks to platforms like Fotolog, Myspace and blog sites, this community gained lots of new gaijin gyarus (foreigner gyarus) and made sharing information, tips and trends a much easier task.
Sadly, in the 10's the style started losing its fame in the West. Famous Japanese idols stopped using gyaru and, slowly but consistently, Japan started forgetting about gyaru and adopting again the idea of the natural-looking, modest and calm woman.
Anyways, this style has been winning back all its fame thanks to the trend of bringing back all the 00's fashion, and apps like TikTok, Instagram, X and YouTube have made it even easier to revive gyaru one more time.
𝓢𝓸𝓶𝓮 𝓸𝓯 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓭𝓲𝓯𝓯𝓮𝓻𝓮𝓷𝓽 𝓰𝔂𝓪𝓻𝓾 𝓼𝓾𝓫𝓼𝓽𝔂𝓵𝓮𝓼
If I had to talk about all the gyaru styles one by one I would be here forever, so since this is just a little introduction to the style, I'll be including the most famous ones and, of course, the ones that I use, lol. (Don't worry, I'm planning on doing a complete post talking about each style.)
It's important to remember two main things. First: most of the substyles got their names from magazines or gaijin gyarus, so it's possible for one style to have multiple names. And second: there are three common ways to "classify" gals — by skin color, age and way of dressing. I'll be talking about the way of dressing here!
It's a rock style but with feminine touches. They usually wear tight or worn jeans, shorts, skirts and various jackets, as well as stockings, leggings and T-shirts with rocker prints such as skulls, crosses, Gothic letters, animal print, among others. The male equivalent of this style is Rokku Gyaruo, which also follows this rock vibe.
It's a kind of sporty style with American touches, like T-shirts with the American flag or university-like typography. Sweaters with a uni or fraternity style are also common, usually accompanied by accessories related to Disney or Sanrio characters and subtle American symbols. There's also a masculine equivalent with the same name and concept.
Goshikku is a mixture of Gothic style and gyaru, with rock and punk influences. They are characterized by wearing camisole-type dresses, a lot of lace, short skirts, T-shirts with crosses, skulls or other dark patterns, as well as laces, black boots or ankle boots and leggings.
It's a style inspired by Barbie. The objective is to look like a doll while keeping the representative sexiness of gyaru. They mostly use dresses with different prints, mix all kinds of colors and use accessories such as ribbons and crowns.
It consists of using mostly semi-formal dresses or combined sets, usually very short, with elegant and often exaggerated hairstyles. The use of ribbons is almost a rule, whether in the hair, accessories or wardrobe. It was highly used by hostesses in Japan.
It's used by gals who prefer having a more adult-like style, with elegance, sophistication and sexiness. The colors used are more sober and the makeup is usually lighter.
It's one of the most famous gyaru styles. Dresses are the most commonly used pieces, especially ones with volume, which can have varied cute prints. They also usually wear outfits that include skirts. The predominant colors are white and pink, although this does not exclude the use of other colors. Accessories are also a very important part of this style.
I think that's all for today's post! I hope I helped you learn more about the gyaru style and its fabulous culture, backstory and way of thinking. It's something incredibly interesting and meaningful to me, so I'm genuinely happy to learn more and more about this style with everyone!! Thanks for reading!! ^^
(𝓑𝓘𝓑𝓛𝓘𝓞𝓖𝓡𝓐𝓟𝓗𝓨):
Gyarumx blogspot
Gal-side blogspot
No comments:
Post a Comment